Knights Von Deutschland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A squad that brews together...

3 posters

Go down

A squad that brews together... Empty A squad that brews together...

Post  Zaibas Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:03 am

So it seems there has been some intrest in the art of Homebrewing on the Knights channel and as promised here is some information and a thread to get those intrested started. I just started this (hobby?) fairly recently, so I am no wise brewmaster by anymeans but I am shocked at how simple it is brewing large quantities of beer at home. To start, this is also a great alternative to getting b00ze for those yet of age to legally purchase alcohol, and that is exactly why I started with a buddy of mine. Might I also add... no liquor taxes...

Initially it costs abit to buy all the equipment, but your investment will pay off. A good Brewing kit costs around 90$- 150$ or for olavv 68- 113 Euros with shipping of course. You really do not need that much fancy stuff.

But before you buy all this equipment do a bit of reading and purchase this book.

"The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian

It is an excellent source of information and has a complete list of what you need to brew, and how to do it. One of the main things you must know is, brewing just takes alot of preperation. You need to sanitize everything! If you dont you get a funky tasting beer. Do your homework before and everything will be easier. ( O the Irony of me saying that)

All this work and investment pays off bug time. After doing the math on the last batch of beer, 5 Gallons(19 Liters) of a Northern English Brown Ale (Like Newcastle) it cost us 23$ to buy the Yeast, Hops, Grain and Malt. What would it cost us to buy 5 gallons of Newcastle? over 120$!! Same stuff, for 6 times the savings, and I just started. If you need an excuse for someone ie: Girlfriend, Wife etc... Just mention the savings!

First get that book, it is amazing. More will come on this thread and I hope that everyone takes up homebrewing... Imagine how entertaining we will be on TS!

Zaibas
Jager
Jager

Back to top Go down

A squad that brews together... Empty Re: A squad that brews together...

Post  OlavV Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 pm

lol I really should try this Very Happy
OlavV
OlavV
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Germany Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:19 am

lol agreed olavv
Germany
Germany
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaibas Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:25 am

Here is some more motivation... The basic set up of how to brew.

1. Purchase: Brewing Yeast, Malt extract, Hops, Grain ( not always) and tap water.
-This you can all get in one kit for a recipe.
2. Sanatize all your equipment that comes in contact with the beer.
-by far the hardest and most tidous task
3. Boil malt extract, grain and hops.
4. Cool to add yeast.
5. Ferment for several days.
6. Bottle or Keg

Thats basically it. Now there are little steps in each one for the recipe.. but literally its like making a cambells soup, but you get 5 gallons of beer.

SHould be bottling the next brew tuesday, so ill tell ya how it goes = )

Zaibas
Jager
Jager

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down